multi-g.manuals

Frank Davis 912/386-3889 FMD at TIFTON.BITNET
Thu Mar 24 14:01:31 EST 1994

All,

For the learning impaired, wonder if it would be useful to modify
g.manual?  I have trouble remembering what I did five minutes ago and
I surely have a terrible time remembering GRASS commands.

I tried to open another window in X (I think that's the right terminology),
so I could view the on-line GRASS manual in one window and enter commands
in another window.  Unfortunately, GRASS gives a "concurrent use not
allowed" error message.

I hardly know Unix and I can barely read C.  But after looking in
src/general/g.manual, the usual Unix commands are used to display
GRASS man pages.

The question I want answered is why should g.manual care if I'm already
running GRASS?  g.manual doesn't not write to the GRASS monitor and it
doesn't access or modify any mapset data.  After reading the source,
as far as I can tell, g.manual uses "cat" and "more" to display
the help stuff.

I would find it really and very useful to open a window or two
for g.manual.  Wonder how hard it would be to modify g.manual
so help could be displayed in several windows?

Best Regards,
Frank Davis
fmd at tifton.cpes.peachnet.edu