install tcltkgrass

Mark P. Line markline at henson.cc.wwu.edu
Fri Mar 25 02:21:35 EST 1994

On Fri, 25 Mar 1994, Minjiao LU wrote:

> I installed tcl7.3 and tk3.6p1 on my Linux box. And then I tried to
> install tcltkgrass. the source directories of tcl and tk seems to be needed
> in compilation. Does I miss something? Another question is how to
> install the binery and the related files?

If you only installed the Tcl & Tk binaries, then you're missing some
source files (*.h) that tcltkgrass needs in order to compile. You can get
both the binaries and the sources for Tcl & Tk on Linux from
sunsite.unc.edu, /pub/Linux/devel/tcl. As to installing the binaries, I
simply untarred them as root (after making sure what was going on by
scanning the archive directory first). It's worked fine so far.

> Is there any documnetation about tcltkgrass on the net?

Not that I've seen. The source code is pretty legible, though ...

> And also I found in my Linux box, wishx is installed using the
> SLS package. Does anyone over there know the difference between wishx
> and tcl/tk.

The SLS wishx binary is probably version 3.3; I suspect that tcltkgrass
would not interoperate with it. The Tk shell is normally called 'wish'.
The name 'wishx' means that it is based on TclX (Extended Tcl: mainly more
Unix system commands) instead of just on Tcl. tcltkgrass doesn't seem to
need TclX, but then again I'm still in the stage of making room for all
this darn source code I need all of a sudden. :)

-- Mark

Mark P. Line                       Phone: +1-206-733-6040
Open Pathways                        Fax: +1-206-733-6040
P.O. Box F                         Email: markline at henson.cc.wwu.edu
Bellingham, WA 98227-0296