read

mcclanah at dlgeo.cr.usgs.gov mcclanah at dlgeo.cr.usgs.gov
Fri Mar 25 09:46:03 EST 1994

>read() is a system call not a unix command
It is also a shell command that is interpretted by the /bin/sh interpretter.

>If you can not run a command from your shell, then you cant run
>it in a shell script either!
Not necessarily true - e.g. the above referenced read command.

Please be sure of your info before you pass it on and confuse others
with incorrect knowledge :)

Run the following:

#!/bin/sh
echo enter a number
read a
echo $a

It works fine.

Jim: if you script isn't to big send it to me via private email (so as not
to waste bandwidth to the rest of the group). If it is rather large send
me about 10 line prior to the read and about 10 lines after your read. It
should work.

Let me know if you want some more help, (if you do lets try and do it
today - I have some slack time today but it is likely to quickly
disappear.

Pat McClanahan		Internet:mcclanah at dlgeo.cr.usgs.gov
EROS Data Center 		 mcclanah at edcserver1.cr.usgs.gov
Sioux Falls, SD