help: mapgenplotter

Jill Schuler jschuler at ncg.scs.ag.gov
Mon Mar 28 18:24:47 EST 1994

----- Begin Included Message -----

I am running mapgen4.1 with grass4.1 on solaris 2.2
This is my first attempt at mapgen. I have installed
graphics, mapgen4.1, SCS, PROJ.4

The command
    plotter ovm/* -d hpgl -o outfile
returns with the incomplete data shown below (I had the outline
of a state & some labels).

------------- outfile -------------
.I81;;17:.N;19:
IN;
SP1;PU;
IP;
SP;
-----------------------------------

What is the correct command for plotting in hpgl format but
redirecting the output to a file.
---------------------

The order of commands I ran
make.mapdef
make.line
plotter

ps: I do not have the plotter directly connected to the sun.

Thanks in advance,
G.K.

----- End Included Message -----

Try adding the paper size to your plotter command:

plotter -d hpgl[papersize] ovm/* -o filename

for example:

plotter -d hpgla ovm/* -o filename.

Before executing the plotter command you should be under your mapgen map directory
(i.e., $LOCATION/mapgen/$MNAME).

The order of the plotter options is not important, but I always writethe command in the following order:
program_name driver_name program_options ovm_layers output_name
plotter       -d hpgla    -r -s 0.39       ovm/*     -o tmp.hpg

you can also use the following:
plotter -d hpgla ovm/* >filename

However, I suspect you have another problem.  The only way I could
recreate your output was to create an EMPTY ovm file and execute the plot command.

FOR SOME REASON, YOUR OVM LAYER DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY INFORMATION.

Things to check:

1.  Is your geographic window in the map.def.par file correct?

2.  Did the file georeference correctly? (Look at the dig_geo file
under your current mapset.  This file is binary in 4.1 so you must
use the command "zcat filename |more".

3.  Is the zone and projection correct in the PROJ_INFO file?

The command make.mapdef uses the current GRASS WIND file to create
the geographic header information stored in the map.def.par file.
However, the make.line command calls the georeferencing command
dig.to.geo and this command uses the PROJ_INFO file under the
PERMANENT mapset.  So there is a potential for things to mismatch.
Before I run the make.mapdef command, I always find out what my
current GRASS window is by displaying a vector file to the monitor.  Additionally, I compair the window info to the PROJ_INFO information using the following:
g.region -p and cat $LOCATION/../P*/PROJ_INFO

FIXING THE PROBLEM:
STEP 1
If the geographic window is wrong, then edit the map.def.par file andenter new latitude and longitude values (West East South North) on
the first line.

OR

If the dig_geo file is not in the proper place,  edit the PROJ_INFO
file.  Then run the command dig.to.geo to generate a NEW geographic
vector file.

STEP 2
After correcting the problem, remake the overlay file by executing
the command:  redo all

STEP 3
Next, display the information on the display monitor using the
show.sh command.  Hopefully, you will see something.

STEP 4
Generate a plot file.

Hope this helps you out!

Jill Schuler