HP RTL

Ronald R. Wahl rwahl at ardneh.cr.usgs.gov
Thu Mar 31 11:58:00 EST 1994

In reference to the Hewlett-Packard DesignJet 650c,  I have one of little
jewels. And although I'm impressed with the products from it, I'm not impressed with the availability of documentation on both HPRTL and HPGL-2 and they apply
to this plotter. The only manual I've been able to get is a manual entitled:

The HP-GL/2 and HP RTL Reference Guide

The HP part number is: 5959-9733 and the cost is a little less than $40.

However there are a number of times that this manual says see the specific
documentation of your particular device for the way a particular command is
interpreted. I have yet to find such a manual for the 650c.

In particular, HP RTL is the only way to plot large (in area and file size)
drawings, because with both HPGL/2 and Postscript the plot must fit in the
memory of the plotter.

In my case I have a program that will take ppm files and transform them to
HP RTL that works well. If this would help let me know.

Ron Wahl, USGS