No subject

News Account news at yuma.ACNS.ColoState.EDU
Sun May 15 10:34:57 EDT 1994

Newsgroups: info.grass.user
From: ront at picea.CFNR.ColoState.EDU (Ronald Thomas)
Subject: Re: why ARC
Sender: news at yuma.ACNS.ColoState.EDU (News Account)
Date: Sun, 15 May 1994 14:34:56 GMT

>>before I get started,,, how many people out
>>there feel Ronald's email "Why ARC/INFO over GRASS?"
>>is acurate?
>>
>>>5) Intergrated graphic output.  GRASS output capabilities leave
>>>MUCH to be desired.  Right now, we have to keep a copy of GRASS4.0
>>
>I think that Ron has made a number of good points, including in particular
>the database issue.  On this last one (graphic output), however, I would
>commend ps.map to everyone.
>
>Simon

To Simon & -jr- and other GRASSers;

A few clarifications/explanations:

	a) We don't have a postscript driver for our HP 650C plotter, so we
	never tested ps.map output.  I would have had to see some quality
	output before I requested $$ for the hardware driver.  We also
	never compiled or used any of the GUI XGRASS stuff.

	b) I've never saw or heard of a definitive performance review or
	description of the various database interface tools developed
	by contributors; again, without such a review, I wasn't going to
	request $$ to buy a commercial database to be used alongside of
	GRASS.

	c) THIS ISN'T GRASS BASHING!!   -jr-  by all means, go ahead and
	use GRASS!  It's wonderful, powerful, cheap, useful, challenging,
	worthwhile, cheap!!  My original post was in response (sort of) to
	the SCS gentleman's posting that asked "why are some govt. agencies
	switching to ARC/INFO?".

Ronald Thomas                                ront at meeker.cfnr.colostate.edu
 Natural Resource Spec. (GIS)         ^^^    Phone: 303-586-1285
  Resources Management Division  ^^  ^^^^^   FAX: 303-586-1310
   Rocky Mountain National Park ^^^ ^^^^^^^  Estes Park, CO  80517