ps.map and HP laserjet

Ken Sibley ksibley at ncg.scs.ag.gov
Mon May 16 12:05:12 EDT 1994

> hi,
> I have been trying to print ps.map output on an HP laserjet IIIp with postscript
> cartridge , but with no success.
> After some time spent in processing something (the .ps file, I presume...) the printer
> just goes back to 'ready', without printing anything.
>
> Has anybody else experienced a similar behaviour?
>
> 				       Andrea Giacomelli
> 					    andreag at idra1.iar.polimi.it

We use a HP Laserjet 4m and it seems to work fine with ps.map.
We have had problems with some printers not switching modes between
PCL and postscript.  You must either have an autoswitching printer (which
I doubt the IIIp is), have software that does the switching for you
(such as Sun's NewsPrint software), or set the printer to postscript
mode and only send postscript files to the printer.

Can you send other non ps.map postscript files to the printer with
success?

Ken Sibley
USDA-SCS		"Hell, if you understand everything I say,
ksibley at ncg.scs.ag.gov   you'd be me!"  - Miles Davis