GRASS and Sun operating sys

James Darrell McCauley mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Fri May 27 13:47:16 EDT 1994

Peter Mikes (mikes at angmar.llnl.gov) writes on 27 May 94:
>         GRASS runs  OK under solaris 2.3
>         Monitor is very slow (30 s delays) but patch which was
>          contributed ( src.incoming/MessQ) takes care of that nicely.
>
>          Naturaly, we did not test everything (did not used digit..)
>          but I would say it is functional.

I finally got a good answer on *why* the slowness on Suns
(after going through experts here and comp.sys.sun.* and
getting nothing). The sales reps in Reston explained that
the implementation of fifos on 2.3 is built on top of
something else (instead of a more direct implementation).
He went on to explain that this was probably the reason
for the slowness.

--Darrell