display speed & color 0=black

Xin Zhuang zhuang at access.digex.net
Fri May 27 14:38:58 EDT 1994

If I recall, I asked something like this last year.
But I didn't get any response.

Most GRASS commands, if I'm right, create a layer
with white background rather than with black background.
But if you have alyer which has a quite bit background,
leaving "white" as the bkgd will tremendousely reduce
the display speed. First, I thought it's my own problem.
But I tested on a Sparc 10 and Alpha machine at Reston
during this user's conference. I found the same. I had
a couple of people with me when I did the test. By changing
bckgrnd to black increased the speed >10 time faster.
There's a difference on the Alpha but not as great as
it was on the Sparc. I hope you could test this if you're interested.

Someone has posted changing color 0 to black.
I'd liek to have that message again.

--Xin