GRASS cannot be used by the U.S. Forest Service?

Doug Dotson ld+0075!dotson at uu5.psi.com
Tue May 31 17:33:17 EDT 1994

I just recently talked with someone from the Forest Service out in
California (which district escapes me right now) concerning the
use of SMAPS/GIS for cave management.  Since SMAPS/GIS was developed in part
under a grant from the Park Service it contains features to exchange data
to and from GRASS.  I was shocked to hear that the Forest Service isn't using
GRASS but rather are using ARCINFO.  I asked why and he said that GRASS
wouldn't fulfill their needs (no details on why).

Doug Dotson
dotson at tate.com