Linux grass platforms

Michael Hill mhill at chiswick.anprod.CSIRO.AU
Sat Oct 8 12:37:55 EDT 1994

Stephen

> We are moving to install grass on a pc running linux.  I would like
> some advice from those who have succeeded in doing this.
>
> What platform are you running on?
I have Andy Burnett's binary distibution running very nicely on a 386 DX33
under SLS Linux. Everything is fine - except don't expect any speed out of
interpolation. It is virtually a waste of time on a PC (half rat power!!).
Maybe with a pentium you might be OK, but I think there arestill problems
with linux for pentiums??

> Do you have a dedicated PC or an additional external disk with linux
> separate from your dos disk?
I have 452 Mb and 540 Mb hard drives each of which has both dos and linux
partitions. Setting this up is easy with the Linux install guide and the
many "HOWTOs". SLS and Slackware provide easy to install, complete
versions.

> What will be my hardware and software requirements to get a working
> grass gis on a pc running linux?
You need linux, grass and a pc - a 486 is preferable if it is your only
installation. We have a Sun, so my 386 is just an adjunct.

> These are the questions I can think of now.  Any other information
> you can lend me would be much appreciated.

Just wing it. Slackware or SLS are easy to install, Andy is upgrading
the binary distribution of Grass for linux evry now and then.

Cheers

Mike Hill

Michael J Hill
Senior Research Scientist
CSIRO Pastoral Research Laboratory, Armidale, NSW, Australia,2350.
E-Mail address: mhill at chiswick.anprod.csiro.au