Projection changes

William Voigt voigtw at nature.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Oct 24 12:28:52 EDT 1994

>>From: Bill Voigt <voigtw at insect.berkeley.edu>
>>
>>Can someone point the way for converting a raster file from one UTM
zone to
>>another?  I have a Kern Co. (CA) landuse map that was created in a hybrid
>>UTM zone 10.5 because it was located midway betw zones 10 & 11.  The
>>problem is that most of my other maps I want to use are vector maps
>>imported from Mapinfo (dxf--> vect) & MI cant do UTM zone 10.5.  I've
>>looked into m.u2ll etc, but they seem to only be for site type files &
>>not raster files.  Can this be done in GRASS, or do I have to use an
>>external utility?

Gerald (Jerry) I. Evenden (gie at charon.er.usgs.gov) writes...

--First and foremost, there is no such thing as a "hybrid UTM zone."

--Secondly, it would appear from this message that sinners are being justly
--punished by the Almighty.

--Thirdly, if one cannot live within the rules of UTM, please do not
refer to the resultant efforts with the adjective UTM.  This only
encourages others to indulge in blasphamous usage.

To which I respond:
First: OK, I'm a biologist trying to make my way through the GIS maze.  I
apologize for using the 'wrong' terminology.  Consider me reeducated.

Second: I consider my hand slapped.  Now, tell me what I did that was a
sin?

Third:  Pardon my blasphemy.  Care to elaborate on the bible where the
UTM commandments are stored?  I do not wishing to offend the 'Almighty'
further.  I thought that a user group was a place where one could ask a
naive question without getting a sermon.

Now, back to my original request for help.  Can a grass raster file be
regenerated into another projection?

Hoping for a more meaningful response...

|	 /\ \  / /\ 	Bill Voigt  voigtw at insect.berkeley.edu               |
|	//\\ .. //\\    Laboratory of Biological Control                     |
|	//\((  ))/\\    University of California, Berkeley                   |
|	/  < `' >  \	(510) 643-8488				             |
|			(510) 642-7992					     |