Flames

Gerald I. Evenden gie at charon.er.usgs.gov
Tue Oct 25 10:45:37 EDT 1994

This may seem like breaking my last promise, but it is on a different
subject.

Indeed, what I wrote was, in Internet parlance, a flame.  I did
it in full awareness of what I was doing and that I would probably
receive counter-flames.

But it was a good, clean flame.  It was not personal, it was not
salacious and certainly (as some would have it) it was not crude.
It was designed to have impact.  And anytime you try this, you
*are* going to get feedback.

To be sure, a gentler reminder may have been easier to accept and I
have written such reminders in the past.  But such messages are easily
forgotten, as indicated by repeated offences, so an occasional swipe
with a 2x4 is necessary to get some peoples attention.

Lastly, for all those who take offense at the occasional flame,
I suggest you go back to watching Barney reruns.

Gerald (Jerry) I. Evenden   Internet: gie at charon.er.usgs.gov
voice: (508)563-6766          Postal: P.O. Box 1027
  fax: (508)457-2310                  N.Falmouth, MA 02556-1027