Deriving values from a raster map

John Nugent ng240 at ursus.pnl.gov
Thu Sep 1 12:12:36 EDT 1994

>Is there anyway to determine the value of a number of raster layers at a
>position defined by a sites file ?

>The example our Hydrology want to do is :-
>they have a sites file containing their tipping bucket raingauges and we
>have various raster data sets, such as potential evaporation, standard
>average annual rainfall, etc. They would like to be able to 'simply' get
>the value of each raster at each raingauge site

>I've shown them 'd.what.rast map=x,y,....' and they think that's great -
>I just feel that there should be some way to do it in a more elegant
>style.

>Thanks for any help,

>Steve Culshaw
>NRA North West
>e-mail : nra at cix.compulink.co.uk (use this for general usage)
>or         sculshaw at cix.compulink.co.uk (Private - only checked at best
>biweekly)

Steve,

Try s.menu.  Select option 1 (Read an existing site list) and type in your
raingauge site file.  Next, select option 8 (Run reports on the current site
list).  You will be asked to type in your raster map layers and how many cells
around the site you want values for.  In the next menu, select option 1 (Site
characteristics report) and this will give you a report with raster values for
each one of your site locations.  If you need more help on this, let me know.

John Nugent