g.setproj, r.proj, rant about s.surf.**

Brad Robbins (BIO) brobbins at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Thu Sep 1 14:02:39 EDT 1994

Nearest neighbor analysis as first introduced by Hopkins and Skellman
(1954) is a technique devised to study spacing of plant individuals (i.e.
the pattern of points in a plane; see Pielou 1969).  A major assumption of
this technique is that each individual can be represented by a point in
space surrounded by some circle of radius r, which implies geometric
regularity.  For some individuals this technique seems to work fine
although Simberloff (1978) pointed out that nearest neighbor techniques
tend to overestimate the degree of spatial regularity in ant-lion
populations.  Because patches of interest are more typically
convoluted in nature, difficulties arise when trying to apply nearest
neighbor analysis.  For example, if we are interested in the spatial
pattern of some resource A we might ask how patches of A are distributed
across a landscape.  If A is found in regularly shaped patches then
nearest neighbor analysis might prove appropriate.  However, if A is
distributed in highly convoluted patches or in linear patches we face an
inherent problem of where to place our point of measure.  Do we
arbitraily select some point in the patch or try to determine the
geometric center?  If the point of measure is arbitrary then I can
imagine 2 patches, one on either side of a third with equivalent nearest
neighbor values but which in reality are very different from one another.

Brad Robbins						Dept. of Biology
brobbins at chuma.cas.usf.edu				Univ. of South Florida