d.mon problems (locking): Linux/grass4.1

William Voigt voigtw at nature.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Sep 2 18:06:44 EDT 1994

I just transfered the grass4.1 files from one disk to another prior to
moving the original to another machine.  I used cp -R to copy them, and
then ran Makelinks to create the links.  When I logged in as user grass,
I originally was told that I didn't have the necessary permissions to
open a monitor using d.mon.  I changed the permissions to 0666 as
directed, but now I get the following message(s)

GRASS-GRID > d.mon x0
Graphics driver [x0] started
Error - Could not complete locking process for monitor <x0>.
Lock file is /usr/grass/linux/locks/(none)/mon.26690
Problem selecting x0. Will try once more
Error - Could not complete locking process for monitor <x0>.
Lock file is /usr/grass/linux/locks/(none)/mon.26690

GRASS-GRID > d.mon stop=x0
Error - Locking mechanism failed

GRASS-GRID > d.mon x1
Graphics driver [x1] started
Error - Could not complete locking process for monitor <x1>.
Lock file is /usr/grass/linux/locks/(none)/mon.26691
Problem selecting x1. Will try once more
Error - Could not complete locking process for monitor <x1>.
Lock file is /usr/grass/linux/locks/(none)/mon.26691

I think there may have been a problem during Makelinks, since the usual
message regarding the fifo's did not appear.  Is this the culprit?  When
I ran Makelinks, I set the GIS & GISDBASE to /usr/grass and /usr/data,
which are where the source code ($GIS/src) and Locations reside.  Should
I have specified /usr/grass/linux (where the binaries reside)?

Thanks alot & have a good Labor Day!