Conversion of false N+E to latlon

Gerald I. Evenden gie at charon.er.usgs.gov
Tue Sep 6 13:25:15 EDT 1994

>Date: Tue, 6 Sep 94 09:10:56 MDT
>From: doug at nps.unm.edu (Doug Bradley)
>To: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
>Subject: Conversion of false N+E to latlon
>
>Hello GRASSERS,
>
>I'm trying to find the method necesssary to convert false EASTINGS or
>false NORTHINGS to actual Lat-Lon values.  I have some data of the
>conterminous USA in false (NE) values and would like to convert various
>site data into that projection (Lambert CC).  Any help would be greatly
>appreciated.  Anyone working in GRASS Lambert CC?
>
>	Thanx,
>
>	Doug Bradley
>	Southwest GIS Support Center
>	Albuquerque, NM
>	(505) 766-8400

One does not convert "false" eastings or northings.  They are offset
values added to the coordinates of the base projection origin so that
all coordinates within a grid will be positive numbers.

In order to convert easting and northings of a grid system to lat-lon
one must know what system is currently being used.  Knowing this lets
you inverse project using *proj* or any GRASS flavor of *proj* to
lat-lon and whence to Lambert Conformal Conic.

Gerald (Jerry) I. Evenden   Internet: gie at charon.er.usgs.gov
voice: (508)563-6766          Postal: P.O. Box 1027
  fax: (508)457-2310                  N.Falmouth, MA 02556-1027