GRass and Super User Status

DUNN JEREMY SIMON dunnj at tsalmoth.colorado.edu
Thu Sep 8 13:55:22 EDT 1994

Hello,

I have asked this question before and apologise before hand to all of you who
are bored of reading this.

I have GRass4.1 unpacked and patched in a subdirectory that I own but in a
directory owned by 'root'.

When I try to run setup I get the message saying that I need to be a super user
to run it, but if I try and run setup.3_22 I can go through the set up process
although I get compilation errors .

My questions are how can I run setup, and what is the difference between setup
and setup.3_22 ?

I have changed all the permissions in my subdirectory to be globally accessible
but no luck. Does this mean that Grass has to installed at root or solely in a
directory structure I own?

Also the alpha binaries out on ftp site , can these be directly run once unpacked ? I was under the impression from the installation manual that they can .

Thank you for your help and patience

Jeremy