ftp GRASS

mc mc46 at newsstand.cit.cornell.edu
Fri Sep 9 11:53:26 EDT 1994

In article <1453.9409090812 at bsamaga.nerc-bas.ac.uk>,
aprc at mail.nerc-bas.ac.uk wrote:

>  I have found it impossible to ftp from moon.cecer.army.mil from PCs, although
> there is no problem from Workstations. My local support people conjecture that
> this is because our PCs are not DNS registered, while the workstations are. This
> means that if moon.cecer.army.mil attempts to check on the existence of the PC
> systems, it can't find them in the DNS system, and refuses to connect to them,
> for security reasons.
>
> Can someone confirm or deny this hypothesis?
>
> Paul Cooper

I realize this problem has been solved, but just wanted to add that I have
realized that it is impossible to "get" files that have more than one "."
in them onto a PC (i.e. something like d.rast is fine but not s.surf.tps).
If I need something on a PC I ftp it to our unix system, then change the
name so that the PC can handle it.

Jane Rossing