Grass / Mapgen / plotting sites / coordinates

N R A nra at cix.compulink.co.uk
Wed Sep 21 08:19:00 EDT 1994

Thanks again to all who helped me in getting Mapgen working.

Two questions though - there's always 'just one more question' isn't
there  8-)

(i) can I plot sites with their reference cf. the way I've done it using
'ps.map' ?
I've tried the 'make.sitefile' but that seems to create the site file - I
can't see any equivalent to 'make.line', etc.

(ii) coordinate system. I've tried the 'make.grid' but that draw lat. &
long. - being from the UK, I'd rather use the OS National Grid Reference
system. I'm not sure what projection it is (if any - I thought it was a
flat easting/northing grid with its 0,0 point just to the SW of the
Sicily Isles).
Is there some way to either persuade Mapgen to plot based on the
coordinates of the data - it seems to convert them somehow into lat. &
long. but shows Manchester area as being somewhere near the equator (3
degrees lat.) in the Pacific (160 degrees W long.) ??
Or what projection should I use - I'm no geographer - the projection is
currently 'UTM' (Universal Transverse Mercator ??) and something called
'Walsbeck ??'

Thanks for any help,

Steve Culshaw
NRA North West