Necessary resolution

Trond Rinde tr at grana.ivb.unit.no
Fri Apr 28 08:00:00 EDT 1995

Hello!

I want to create a DEM from digitized contours. However I am not sure what
resolution I should select for it. The contourlines are in 5m intervals, and
they get very close to each other (< 2.5 m) at places of steep slope.

Question:

Is it necessary that no contours fall into the same raster when you run
"v.to.rast"? This would mean that the chosen resolution should be smaller than
the minimum distance between the contours. If not, how does "v.to.rast"
behave when two or more contourlines fall into the same grid-cell? What about
"v.to.sites"?

Thank you in advance!

Trond Rinde