help !

peter canter canter at oslo.Geco-Prakla.slb.com
Wed Apr 26 08:00:00 EDT 1995

> I am experimenting in the use of GIS for mapping ocean currents. We need
> knowledge of currents because a lot of our equipment is towed in the
> ocean and it`s position is critical in proper sub sea imaging.
>
> I have a set of data with x & y and several attributes related to currents
> for each position in other words:
> 12345.00|87654.00|First att.  Second att.  Third att.  Fourth att., etc.
> 23456.00|98765.00|First att. Second att. Third att. Fouth att., etc
>
> I have a predefined grid which is divided into cells (rows & columns).
> What I want to do is to assign the attribute values to cells of the
> predefined grid. For each attribute I will create a single map surface.
> The x and y's of the attribute data will determine which cell gets the value.

> The x and y`s provided may not be exactly a 'cell' center but I expect
 the GIS to assign the attribute value(s) to the cell with a coordinate center
  closest to the x & y of the attribute.

> Am I missing something in GRASS. Is this easily done? Is it done at all?
> My biggest problem is getting started, in other words loading the data.
> I am using simple ascii files as described above.
> I have taken gdbase (from Berkeley) and tried to work with s.gdbase.
  I'm not getting anywhere.

> Can somebody help?

  Lastly hints on combining time and GIS would be of interest. The ocean
  current data I am using is time tagged and it will be of interest to
  examine data in both the time and space domains.

----- End Included Message -----