Trouble to install Linux Grass 4.1

ROMAN ANTONI KAMINSKI TSS at mwod.sggw.waw.pl
Wed Apr 19 08:00:00 EDT 1995

*<>*
*<>*I have trouble to install grass 4.1 on Linux.
*<>*I didn't know how to use "ginstall", so I used the following commands
*<>*"cat grassa? | *************" to install. (sorry, I forget rest of it).
*<>*Anyway, this command extracted a lot of files into directory "/usr/grass".
*<>*Few minutes later, the extraction stopped. I received a message :
*<>*"pipe break" (or "pipe broken"). Any idea?
*<>*
*<>*I downloaded my linux grass 4.1 from moon.ceder.army.mil.
*<>*Is it possible some of the archive files are bad?
*<>*Any suggestion is welcome.
*<>*
*<>*Luke
Pardon me for my comments. I'm a beginner too. The whole script
ginstall is strange to me. I think we should look very carefully
to Unix (Linux) guides. The whole sentence
cat grassa? | gzip -d | (cd$instDir; tar xvf -)
we should understand.
I think "pipe broken " is the system failure.
You should look very carefully in your system.
In RAM memory, disk memory and so one.
I expext here some errors not on moon.cecer.army.mil ftp server.
Do you get the Linux files all with binary option.
See how long they are. Do they have the some size as the orginal?
I installed  the linux grass4.1 version and it was ok but one
I have Solaris2.4. And I installed Sun Grass4.1 version but
I can do nothing. I have the first menu window but I can't to
write the DATABASE name to menu. HELP !!
Pardon all GRASS people for a long letter.

*<>*
                            BRGRDS Romek