GRASS on IBM AIX, SCO-ODT, and Linux

Dave Mandel dmandel at dragon.aseTT.com
Fri Apr 14 19:07:49 EDT 1995

I compiled GRASS 4.1 on SCO-ODT and IBM RS6000 for my client just after
GRASS 4.1 became available.

IBM RS6000
As I recall the IBM version came up quickly with little pain.  I compiled
all of GRASS including alpha and contributed, but did not compile XGRASS
or related.  A couple of us have used this GRASS off and on since that
work and it has worked quite well.

SCO-ODT
I also compiled the code on SCO-ODT ver 2.0.  This was a pain and the
resulting code is not as stable as the IBM version.  This seems to be due
to bugs in the ODT development tools.  What I got is usable, but not as
good as the IBM version.  I was disappointed, because I had had great
success in bringing GRASS 4.0 up under SCO-ODT 1.1 a year earlier.  Has
anyone tryed compiling GRASS under a newer version of ODT?  If so, has the
situation improved?

Availability of Binaries
Since I did this work for a client I can not give out the binaries.
However, my client is a public agency and does have a formal request
procedure for software and data.  If these binaries aren't commonly
available it would be nice to put them on an ftp server somewhere.

LINUX
I have been moving from ODT to Linux which I like very much.  Instead of
recompiling the source code, I would as soon get ready to run binaries.
Where is the best, most up to date, most complete set of Linux binaries
for GRASS?

                                               Dave Mandel
                                               Chief Activist
                                               Portland Linux Users Group