LANDSAT Images Files

Stalcup Bruce stalcup_bruce at po.gis.prc.com
Fri Apr 28 10:22:21 EDT 1995

I recently downloaded a sample LANDSAT Image file from the USGS location:
ftp://edcftp.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/landsat/pathfinder/NALC.
The sample file was p43r33_90_ovr.img and was located on my local disk.  I
first tried to use i.tape.tm and i.tape.tm.fast but I continue to get
segmentation faults.  I then tried to use i.tape.other but also had a
segmentation fault error.  From the documentation, each image is 490 by 516
pixels.  The file appears to contain 6 bands (by its size) and may not have
header records.  Has anybody had any luck using files from this location, and ,
if so, how.  In addition, there is an accompanying DEM elevation file
p43r33_dem_ovr.img with 16-bit elevation data points.   How do I incorporate
this file, short of writing a special program to extract the data into GRASS
formats.

Thanks in advance
Bruce Stalcup>