Two Questions (r.support(?) and v.out.arc)

Tom Orth orth at skyler.arc.ab.ca
Tue Aug 29 08:00:00 EDT 1995

>> Back to manual editing, then: the information obtained from r.support is
>> stored in $LOCATION/cellhd/[mapname]. I don't really understand what you
>> mean by default rows and columns: the default settings are stored in a
>> file called $LOCATION/DEFAULT_WIND, but I am under the impression that
>> this file is only valid inside mapset PERMANENT. Changing the # of rows
>> and columns directly with r.support is only useful if you have incomplete
>> raster files, otherwise g.region will do everything you want.

Ok, thanks.  I was under the impression you could change the map resolution
and screen resolution independently.

>> >    2./ We have a mapset whose overlay is 15135 polygons within GRASS. When
>> >        we use "v.out.arc type=polygon vect=overlay arc_prefix=overlay, it
>> >        generates overlay.* files which have 23400 polygons.  Is there a
>> >        reason for this, or is v.out.arc broken ?
>> I seem to recall that ARC never accepted lines with more than 500
>> vertices, so every line that is longer will be broken into segments.

Ok, but that doesn't explain why I end up with .lab file which has almost
10k *more* polygons than the data I started with. I can accept that the .pol
file utilizes more segments, but this shouldn't affect the final polygon count.

        T.

Thomas Orth, M.Sc.                              Alberta Research Council
Research Officer                                3rd Floor, 6815 8th Street N.E.
Advanced Computing & Engineering                Calgary, Alberta T2E 7H7
Spatial Information Management and Analysis     Canada
Email:              Phone:             Fax:                WWW:
orth at arc.ab.ca      (403) 297-7571     (403) 297-2339      http://www.arc.ab.ca
    I'd be really surprised if my opinions reflected those of my employers.