Problems running grass

herb at iiasa.ac.at herb at iiasa.ac.at
Mon Aug 14 08:00:00 EDT 1995

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to run grass4.1 unders Solaris 2.3 (or 2.4).   I've installed
everything but I still can't seem to get a graphics window started
properly.  GIS is not my field and I'm just trying to install this and make
sure it is working.  Anyway, I start grass with the spearfish sample dataset.
When I get to the "GRASS 4.1 >" prompt, I type:  d.mon start=x0
At which time a "GRASS 4.0 - X Display Window" appears on the screen, then
I get the following messages:

Graphics driver [x1] started
ERROR: region for current mapset is not set
       run "g.region"
Problem selecting x1. Will try once more
ERROR: region for current mapset is not set
       run "g.region"

Is it simply the case that I have no data to display that it cannot
connect to the display window or is it something else?   What can I do
to be able to draw some sample data on the screen?  Any help or pointers
would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
                     Herb Hasler -- herb at iiasa.ac.at
      International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis  (IIASA)
           A-2361 Laxenburg, Austria, +43 2236 807 ext 548