suid permission/grass programs

Steve Dzurenko steve at ocean.oce.uri.EDU
Mon Aug 14 12:34:50 EDT 1995

Hello,

I have written a GRASS program which I need to update the
system time from a GPS message.  I ran into the problem of
needing to be root to change the system time.  I want users
other that root to use this program but have the privelege
to update the system time.  I attempted to solve that problem
by letting root own the executable and setting the set UID
bit on the permissions.  Now, when other users run the
program, it will run as root; in theory.  But I am getting
the following error what I run the program:

ERROR: MAPSET PERMANENT - permission denied

Does anyone know why?

Is it because root does not own mapset PERMANENT?

Thanks.

-Stephen Dzurenko
 Ocean Mapping Division
 Ocean Technology Center