prefix.txt & ARC/INFO ??

Scott Miller miller at tucson.ars.ag.gov
Mon Dec 18 07:00:00 EST 1995

T at bnr.ca>
organization: University of Illinois at Urbana
reply-to: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
newsgroups: info.grass.user
originator: daemon at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

Max,

I'm not entirely sure that I'm going to properly address your
question, but I often associate point attribute data in ARC with
attributes taken from GRASS following this procedure.  It may be done
with any number of data types that a RDBMS such as INFO accepts
(character, integer, real, etc.).  In this case, the example is for a
character string 40 characters wide:

1.  generate the ARC coverage following the procedures to which you
alluded in your mail.

2.  create a "flat" file of your character attributes that will be
imported into INFO.  This file will contain only the labels, and must
be in exactly the same order as their respective points that were
imported using "generate" in ARC.

3.  in INFO, define a new INFO item that is for the attributes only.
This item will contain the flat file info & then be linked to the new
ARC coverage:

        a.  start info
        b.  DEFINE <INFO.FILE>
                ITEM NAME:  <YOUR_CHOICE>
                INPUT LENGTH:  40    <UP TO YOU, REALLY>
                OUTPUT LENGTH:  41   (I'm not sure why, but I've been
told to keep the output length 1 longer than the input length)
                ITEM TYPE:   C
        c.  hit return to get out of define

4.  Now, populate this new INFO item with the add from command.  At
the INFO prompt:

        ADD FROM ../<flat_file_created_in_step_2>

5.  Exit from INFO (q stop)  and in ARC, JOINITEM the coverage with
the newly created INFO file:

6.  Now you should be ready to go.

If you have any questions, or this routine fails to work, please let
me know & we can work on it a bit further.

Good luck,

Scott