Scanner's and Grass4.1

Grass package grass at sun1.bham.ac.uk
Tue Feb 21 05:44:34 EST 1995

?at?Feb?20??95?08?37?08?am at bnr.ca>
Originator: daemon at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

> I'm interested to know if anyone out there has scanned a map of any kind into
> Grass4.1
> Was this a simple task. I'm interested to know if a scanned image can act
> as a map base over which various other images will be overlayed. I would
> assume this is possible.
>
> Jeremy Dunn

Yes, this is very simple. The scanned map will be in a format such as TIFF
which grass4.1 can import, or which can be converted using Xv first. Once
in grass, the map is georeferenced using the i.group, i.target, i.points and
i.rectify2 tools and using the grid intersections on the map as the reference
points. By taking extreme care in producing this map layer (resolution,
precision) it can be used afterwards to georeference other scanned images
such as aerial photographs. I have done this regularly for archaeological
purposes.

        Martijn

Leverhulme Research Fellow, The Wroxeter Hinterland Project                  |
University of Birmingham Field Archaeology Unit                              |
Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT                                                |
Phone +44 121 414 5513  Fax +44 121 414 5516  E-mail P.M.van-Leusen at bham.ac.uk