v.patch

Wayne Gibson oregon at chaos.ATS.ORST.EDU
Tue Feb 7 19:33:16 EST 1995

Dear Grass Users,

A correction to the earlier email (syntax error on v.patch)

Is there a method of patching together multiple vector files into one and still
retain the attributes found within each file?  (My intent is to have one vector
file with all the state boundaries, and if I run d.what.vect on that file, I
point, click, and get the state name for each point and click.)

Here is what has been tried already...

With multiple vector files, one file per state boundary,I run v.patch with a
command like the following :

v.patch input=or.bnd,ca.bnd,wa.bnd,id.bnd output=west.bnd

Then v.support with :

v.support map=west.bnd

What I get are all the lines but the area becomes the perimeter of all the
states specified in the v.patch command.  v.digit shows the lines bordering the
states become open area lines.  Am I resolved to manually correcting the file
with v.digit?

Wayne Gibson
Oregon State University