v.patch - area labels problem

Simon Cox s.cox at dem.csiro.au
Wed Feb 8 19:21:36 EST 1995

I think I can guess the problem.  Your source dig files had the areas
labelled with numbers in the usual Grass fashion, and then you had the
state names attached to these in a category file. However, even though the
_names_ were different for the different states, you probably used the same
label _number_ for the state polygon in each case.  When you "patched", all
the areas with the same label NUMBER were consolidated, and the different
cat's got lost.  You will need to ensure that both names and numbers are
different in the original files to retain them as distinct polygons in the
output.

This is only a guess as I have not used v.patch for area features myself.

Simon Cox

>> Dear Grass Users,
>>
>> A correction to the earlier email (syntax error on v.patch)
>>
>> Is there a method of patching together multiple vector files into one and
>>still
>> retain the attributes found within each file?  .
.
.
.
>> What I get are all the lines but the area becomes the perimeter of all the
>> states specified in the v.patch command.  v.digit shows the lines bordering
>>the
>> states become open area lines.  Am I resolved to manually correcting the
>>file
>> with v.digit?
>>
>> Wayne Gibson
>> Oregon State University

Dr Simon Cox                          __  \
CSIRO Exploration & Mining         ,~'  L_|\    Australian
39 Fairway, PO Box 437,         ;-'         \   Geodynamics
Nedlands, WA  6009  Australia   (            \  Cooperative
      Phone +61 9 389 8421      +    ___     /  Research
      Fax   +61 9 389 1906       L~~'   "\__/   Centre
s.cox at dem.csiro.au                         7