Forest Management

James Darrell McCauley mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Thu Feb 9 18:50:52 EST 1995

Jocelyn Aycrigg (aycrigg at osiris.cso.uiuc.edu) writes on 9 Feb 95:
>We have about 1400 forest inventory plots and would like to use these data
>to delineate forest stand types over approximately 30,000 acres of forest.
>The data is in site format and raster format.  We have tried r.clump, and
>r.grow. which may potentially be what we go with but we were wondering if

IMO, I don't think that buffering is an appropriate general solution
to interpolation of categorical data. It may be appropriate if, e.g.,
you had the coordinates of single, spherical cells of different
bacteria inside a homogenous growth medium in a zero gravity
environment. But for other situations, you may need to look at the
spatial assumptions of such a model for interpolation.

>anybody had any ideas that might be helpful.  We have also tried s.voronoi
>but that does not seem to work on my system.

Tesselation may be a better solution, but be sure it makes sense
for trees and for what the tree-map will be used for.

My reason for following up is to again publicly state that:

  I'M PULLING S.VORONOI AND S.DELAUNAY FROM THE GRASS DISTRIBUTION

This is because Roman Waupotitsch's geom package (s.geom, v.geom, et
al.) provides a more unified, comprehensive solution to tesselations
in GRASS.  Also, Roman knows a heckuva lot more about computational
geometry than myself :)

The geom package may be found in the
           ***  outgoing ***
directory on moon:

  ftp://moon.cecer.army.mil/grass/outgoing/geom.tar.Z

This file is dated 29 Dec 1994. Since that time, I have sent
Olga modifications that allow compiling under Solaris 2.

>any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
>
>Thanks, Jocelyn L. Aycrigg, Don Mahan, and Xiandong Meng
>Environmental Division, Public Works
>Fort Drum, New York
>tel:315-772-4852
>email:aycrigg%osiris.cso.uiuc.edu
              ^ @ :)

--Darrell
James Darrell McCauley, PhD        http://soils.ecn.purdue.edu/~mccauley/
Dept of Agricultural Engineering   mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Purdue University                  tel: 317.494.9772 fax: 317.496.1115