data on circles?

James Darrell McCauley mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Thu Feb 16 13:15:44 EST 1995

All the talk of circles reminded me put out a feeler on the following:
does anyone deal with data *on* circles?  In other words, does anyone
have basic data that are in the form of directions?  (An example of
this type of data may include directions that animals leave a
nest/hole in search of food/mates/etc.) Just for fun-zees, I'm
contemplating writing a program to statistically test for randomness
of directions (testing the hypothesis that the n points are randomly
distributed about the circumference of the circle). I have all
the internal nasties already written (e.g., Kuiper's V and Watson's
U^2 stats) so writing a GRASS wrapper would be pretty easy.

Let me know.

--Darrell
James Darrell McCauley, PhD        http://soils.ecn.purdue.edu/~mccauley/
Dept of Agricultural Engineering   mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Purdue University                  tel: 317.494.9772 fax: 317.496.1115