g.setproj Help

Gerald I. Evenden gie at charon.er.usgs.gov
Fri Feb 17 16:02:41 EST 1995

>From: garyo at hydroqual.com (Gary Ostroff)
>Subject: g.setproj Help
>Sender: grass-lists-owner at moon.cecer.army.mil
>To: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
>Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 13:51:06 -0500 (EST)
>
>Hello Grass Users,
>
>I am attempting to set up a mapset/location that will use the New York
>State Plane Coordinate System.  I have assumed that I must create a
>new location, and then go through the routine of specifying the correct
>parameters for the new map location.  [SPCS in NY uses the Transverse
>Mercator projection, and has three zones.  I am in the third zone.]

New York has 4 zones.

>Now, what happens is, when I start the process, I get a prompt for a
>type of map/projection, i.e. lat/long, xy, spcs, etc.  I choose
>spcs, and then I am prompted for the ZONE.  The zone?  Each state in
>the union has several zones, but it didn't even ask for the state!
>The manual page says I will be prompted for an abbreviation of the
>state, and the zone, so I tried typing in NY3, and NY 3, but neither
>worked.  So how does one correctly specify the NYSPCS in zone 3?

All the zone throught the US are uniquely numbered.  For New York, NAD83:

	3101: new york east
	3102: new york central
	3103: new york west
	3104: new york long island

>BTW, I thought perhaps it meant UTM zone, so I gave it the correct one
>for my region, but that's silly, really.  There are several states up
>and down the east coast in the same UTM zone, all with different
>SPCSs, right?

UTM and SPCS are two different animals.

Gerald (Jerry) I. Evenden   Internet: gie at charon.er.usgs.gov
voice: (508)563-6766          Postal: P.O. Box 1027
  fax: (508)457-2310                  N.Falmouth, MA 02556-1027