d.mon problem

Grass GIS gograss at trentu.ca
Mon Jan 16 14:33:38 EST 1995

Dear Grass Users:

I've run in to a bit of a snag in running grass4.0 d.mon commands at our
site, and am looking for any suggestions as to how to rectify the
problem.

When i try to start a graphics monitor ie. d.mon start=x1 i receive an
error message that the system can't find the fifo.a1 and that i should
check the etc/monitorcap file.

The monitorcap file exist and the first entry in it specifies
grass4.0/dev/fifo.a1 as a device driver (this seems ok)

However when i search the directory /grass4.0/dev there are no files
present. Our system administrator believes someone has accidentally
deleted some files from here and this is the cause of the problem.

Questions:

1. Is this correct must i have a fifo.1a file in my grass4.0/dev
directory?

2. If unable to retrive one from backups made of grass directorieswhere
can i get this file ?

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated greatly.

Thank You.

Alan J. Frank

Env. Studies/Geography
Trent University, Peterborough Ontario.