Conversion from ARC/INFO

sayeed at weirich530.geography.uiowa.edu sayeed at weirich530.geography.uiowa.edu
Thu Jan 26 14:12:25 EST 1995

I really appreciate knowing that both Scott Miller and Bill Baker (and
probably many other persons, I assume) have used the DISPLAY command in
ARC/INFO to output to a ASCII .txt file with no problem.  When I was
converting files from ARC/INFO to GRASS, I was getting a BAD WRITE error.  I
was planning to call the ARC people, but I got around the problem by using
the REPORT command.

Just to check the procedure again, I just used the DISPLAY command on one of
my files.  The following is the error that I get if I use the DISPLAY command
in INFO to create the ASCII .txt file for GRASS.

AN EXAMPLE OF THE ERROR:

Arc: INFO
 INFO  EXCHANGE  CALL
26/01/1995  11:30:42
 INFO  9.42  11/11/86  52.74.63*
 Copyright (C) 1994 Doric Computer Systems International Ltd.
 All rights reserved.
 Proprietary to Doric Computer Systems International Ltd.
 US Govt Agencies see usage restrictions in Help files (Help Restrictions)
 ENTER USER NAME>ARC

 ENTER COMMAND >SEL VEGCL.PAT
       7 RECORD(S) SELECTED

 ENTER COMMAND >LIST
 $RECNO           AREA    PERIMETER VEGCL# VEGCL-ID
      1        -40.320       29.934     1      0
      2         25.797       59.846     2     64
      3          2.175        9.229     3     63
      4          4.871       14.019     4     67
      5          2.587       16.535     5     65
      6          3.039       11.302     6     66
      7          1.852        7.729     7     68

 ENTER COMMAND >OUTPUT /home/sayeed/vegcl.txt

 ENTER COMMAND >ITEMS
 DATAFILE NAME: VEGCL.PAT                                           01/26/1995
    4 ITEMS: STARTING IN POSITION    1
 COL  ITEM NAME         WDTH OPUT TYP N.DEC  ALTERNATE NAME
    1  AREA                4   12  F    3
    5  PERIMETER           4   12  F    3
    9  VEGCL#              4    5  B    -
   13  VEGCL-ID            4    5  B    -

 ENTER COMMAND >DISPLAY $RECNO, AREA, PERIMETER PRINT
LU  8   BAD WRITE (DBWRIT)
LU  8   BAD WRITE (DBWRIT)
LU  8   BAD WRITE (DBWRIT)
LU  8   BAD WRITE (DBWRIT)
LU  8   BAD WRITE (DBWRIT)
LU  8   BAD WRITE (DBWRIT)
LU  8   BAD WRITE (DBWRIT)

 ENTER COMMAND >OUTPUT arcsnp

 ENTER COMMAND >Q STOP
Arc:
EXAMPLE ENDS.

I do have enough space and write permission in my /home/sayeed directory.  I
talked to the system administrator, but he was clueless.  I have been using
ARC/INFO 7.0.2 and UNIX system on IBM RS/6000.  Has anyone else got the same
type of problem? If anybody has any clue, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

- Sayeed
  sayeed at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu
  sayeed at weirich530.geography.uiowa.edu