Importing Lansat TM image

Dana M Slaymaker dana at fnr.umass.edu
Wed Jul 26 08:00:00 EDT 1995

> Dear Grassers,
>
> I need some help to import a Landsat TM image to GRASS. I have this image in
BIL format (Band
> InterLeaved format) on floppy disks. I really don't know how to start process
ing these data in
> GRASS. I have 4 bands (2, 3, 4 & 5), each two bands in one BIL file (i.e all
two files). Also,
> I have a header file for every digital file. An alternative way to do it, I a
m thinking, is using
> ER Mapper 4.1 which could handle this format and I have an access to it.
>
> Any clues would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tarek Sadek
>
> Ph.D. Student
> Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
> University of Melbourne
> Parkville, Vic. 3052
> Australia
>
> Tel: +03 344 7178
> Fax: +03 344 6215
>
> E-mail address: sadek at aqua.civag.unimelb.edu.au
> ------

Dear Tarek

        I've been bringing a lot of tm images into grass lately and I've
found it easiest just to copy the raw data file into your cell directory then
write a header in cellhd. r.support will give range, histogram, and a
cats file. If you have ERMapper, seperate the band interweave into
seperate files. If you store the ER headers with the files in cell, ER
and GRASS will both be able to access them without any further conversion.
Good luck.

Dana Slaymaker
Dept of Foerestry and Wildlife Management
University of Mass.