s.surf.tps

mike at ce.umanitoba.ca mike at ce.umanitoba.ca
Thu Jun 15 08:00:00 EDT 1995

> Hello!
>
>       I want to built a DEM using s.surf.tps from a contour lines map
> and some reference heights I digitized before. The result of this process
> is quite nice ussually. But my problem now is that I'm working in a very
> flat area. The contour interval in the maps I vectorized was of 10 metres.
> So, in the flatest zone I may have more than 1 square kilometre without
> any data. I thought I could improve the DEM if I could use streams and
> rivers as topographic data, I mean forcing s.surf.tps to consider that
> stream cells are in lower heights than their neighbors.
>       Is this possible in s.surf.tps?
>       Is this possible in any other interpolation algorithm in Grass?
>

>                               Xavier Ros
>                       Unitat de Geodinamica Externa i d'Hidrogeologia
>                       Universitat Autonoma Barcelona
>                       e-mail: xavi at cataw.uab.es

Xavier,

I didn't notice if anybody has responded to your notice.  Hopefully this will h
elp.

I have been through the same thing with flat areas.  I did not like the results
 from s.surf.tps.  I think s.surf.contour will do a good job for you, especiall
y since your area is flat.  The only problem is that it may take a very long ti
me to run since there are large open areas with no data.  Any additional elevat
ion information you can give it would be beneficial.

Mike Bender
Facility for Intelligent Decision Support in Water Resources
Civil & Geological Engineering
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3T 2N2, CANADA

(204) 474-6746 [phone]