Going to a specfic lat,lon in Grass

Jim Hinthorne geol1 at CWU.EDU
Fri Jun 23 15:49:18 EDT 1995

>Good Morning,
>
>I'm interested to know if Grass has the capabilities to "go to" a point
>on a map that has been specified on the command line ?
>
>I have a region, and I want to specify a site with
>a specfic lat and lon, make the cursor go to that point and read the pixel
>value at that point. Has anyone done this before ?
>
>Many Thanks
>
>Jeremy Dunn

A short shell script will do that.  Use r.what to query the map and d.points
to display the point querried.  Eliminate the parts you don't want from the
following.

show.point.sh easting northing mapname

E=$1
N=$2
MAP=$3
d.rast $MAP
echo $E $N | d.points size=4 color=black type=+
echo $E $N | r.what -f in=$MAP
exit 0

Jim Hinthorne              Voice:  509-963-2826
GIS/Geology                FAX:    509-963-1047
Central Washington Univ.   E-mail: geol1 at cwu.edu
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7418