r.in.ascii

Conn Copas cvc at itd.dsto.gov.au
Sat Mar 18 00:06:03 EST 1995

Reidy??at?Mar?17??95?12?44?11?pm at bnr.ca>
Originator: daemon at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

Denis M Reidy writes:

> Working through a new install of Grass 4.1 on a SGI Indigo with a new 5.3
> operating system, I am having trouble reading in ASCII files to convert
> to GRASS format using r.in.ascii.
> Even using the 10x15 example data set given on page
> 341 in the GRASS 4.1 User's Reference Manual gets me only a blank white
> output from d.rast. The r.in.ascii command seems fine when it runs
> although it does not set up a /colr subdirectory nor consequent color
> file when it does run. Faking a color file gets me a solid mauve (am
> improvement over the white?) output from d.rast.
>
> My suspicion is the interface between the GRASS4.1/XGRASS4.1 software and
> the color table of the SGI system.

Display commands are not really the definitive method of testing the veracity
of analysis operations, because this invites the confounding of data with
views. Try r.report or r.cats to see whether you actually have any new data. If
not, there is a possibility that the workings of r.in.ascii are sensitive to
prevailing region settings (can't remember off-hand, but this should be in the
man page). After that, you can start to suspect your platform! An e-mail
address in your sig. would help.

                Conn V Copas  cvc at itd.dsto.gov.au