infos on GRASS/LINUX/PC

Thomas Hack hack at typhoon.sdsu.edu
Fri Mar 17 12:39:19 EST 1995

Hello there!

I am thinking about installing GRASS on a PC.
Before I purchase any new hardware or start downloading software,
I would like to ask all of you who have experience with running
GRASS on a PC for input:

- What are your recommendations regarding hardware (e.g.
  incompatiblities to avoid ...)?
- Where can I obtain LINUX?  Any hints for smooth installation?
- Can I have a UNIX and a DOS partition on the same PC?
- Is there a compiled version of GRASS for LINUX available?
  I assume LINUX will come with a C-compiler (gcc?)?
  Any suggestions for compiling GRASS modules for LINUX?

Are there any documents on the Internet that may describe
some of the above?  Where can I find them?

Thank you very much
Cheers

Tom

        Thomas Hack