Memory problem s.surf.tps

Irina Kosinovsky irina at diego.cecer.army.mil
Mon Mar 13 13:47:49 EST 1995

In info.grass.user you write:

>Hi all,

>a presumably simple question for any UNIX guru among you: after running
>s.surf.tps on a relatively large set of elevation points, the program
>exits after reaching 100% with the message

>ERROR: G_calloc: out of memory

>Can anybody tell me what kind of memory I should free in order to
>prevent this problem? The program warned me that I needed about 34Mb
>diskspace for temporary files, but I still have 76Mb free on the disk
>that the files are supposed to be written AFTER the program finished - is
>this simply not enough, and if so, why? There is 34 Mb of files present
>in the $LOCATION/.tmp/[hostname] directory. I suppose these are the
>files that are eventually written out as the desired GRASS raster files
>- can I salvage these by transferring them to $LOCATION/cell and run
>r.support? Any help is greatly appreciated!

>Philip Verhagen
>--

>                       S t i c h t i n g  R A A P

>               Regionaal Archeologisch Archiverings Projekt

>adress:        Plantage Muidergracht 14
>               1018 TV Amsterdam
>               THE NETHERLANDS
>phone:          (31) 20 525 5835
>fax:           (31) 20 525 5834
>e-mail:                motte at xs4all.nl

To get rid of this problem you might want to get the new version of
s.surf.tps. It is a part of interp.shar.Z file on moon.cecer.army.mil
(/grass/incoming directory)

When you get it, just "unpack" it and there will be 5 directories
including s.surf.tps. You will need to run gmake4.1 in all of them starting
with /tree and /data

Email me if you have any questions
Irina

--