more mayday (m'aidez) our monitors are sick

Ken Sibley ksibley at ncg.nrcs.usda.gov
Fri Mar 10 10:12:46 EST 1995

> Thanks to all who replied to my message.  As far as I know we
> are still using the fifo version of GRASS.  We are running
> grass (not xgrass) on solaris2.3.  The ipcs -aq command returned
>
> hawaii% ipcs -aq
> IPC status from <running system> as of Fri Mar 10 09:49:01 1995
> Message Queue facility not in system.
> hawaii%
>
> I followed David Houlders second suggestion of rebooting and that
> seems to have done the trick, some nuts require sledge hammers
> I guess (particularly with my level of unix expertise!)
>
> I'm still curious as to why this "epidemic" started.
>
> Thanks again
>

> Tom 8-)

We have seen these type of problems occassionaly.  Usually it is
caused by the graphics monitor while the mouse is active; ie. while
using d.what.rast or some other mouse command.  Our only solution
also has been to reboot the machine.  This has happened to us
on 3 different platforms: 1)AT&T SYS V Rel 3.2.x Unix on 386/486
2)Sun Sparc stations with SunOS 4.1.x 3)Unixware 1.x on 486.

Ken Sibley
USDA-NRCS/NCG                   "Hell, if you understand everything I say,
ksibley at ncg.nrcs.usda.gov        you'd be me!"  - Miles Davis