mayday (m'aidez) our monitors are sick

charnotw charnotw at helios.aston.ac.uk
Wed Mar 8 14:03:49 EST 1995

We have an epidemic of monitors failing.

basically they lock up and become totally unresponsive
even if you completely logout and start up GRASS again
you just get the message:

GRASS 4.1 > d.mon start=x0
Graphics driver [x0] is already running
Warning - no response from graphics monitor <x0>.
Check to see if the mouse is still active.
ERROR - no response from graphics monitor <x0>.
Problem selecting x0. Will try once more
Warning - no response from graphics monitor <x0>.
Check to see if the mouse is still active.
ERROR - no response from graphics monitor <x0>.

Mapset <watertables> in Location <shropshire>
GRASS 4.1 >

stopping them produces a response:

GRASS 4.1 > d.mon stop=x0
Monitor 'x0' terminated

Mapset <watertables> in Location <shropshire>
GRASS 4.1 >

but they can still not be started (same message as above)
I've only lost the use of x0 but other people have lost
x1 and x2 (we'll run out soon!.
We have been using GRASS for ages and this has only just
started, anybody got any bright ideas?

cheers  Tom  8-)

Tom Charnock                       O--O
Dept Civil Engineering            (~~~~)
Aston University                 (  __  )
Birmingham B4 7ET UK             /|\  /|\
charnotw at sun.aston.ac.uk