GRASS/XGRASS for LINUX on CD

Andreas Holz Andreas.Holz at oi32.kwu.siemens.de
Wed Mar 8 07:28:20 EST 1995

Hello GRASS-folks,

        the GRASS/XGRASS for LINUX on CD-ROM project is proceeding!

        The CD-Image is written and in the testing phase, all I could say,
        it behaves well.

        This is the last request for submissions of contributed
        software and bug-reports for GRASS on LINUX.

        I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO TEST ALL GRASS PROGRAMS FOR CORRECT
        BEHAVIOUR ON LINUX!!!!!

        Definitive contents of the CD:

                GRASS 4.1.5     src tree
                                src.garden tree
                                src.alpha tree
                                src.contrib tree (including RIM)

                XGRASS          except the pixmap-editor completely running
                                I took the newest pixmap-editor from inria,
                                which is running well.

                MAPGEN          an alternative GRASS-MOTIF Inteface based
                                on XGEN.

                GNUPLOT         and the GRASS-GNUPLOT interface

                SDTS
                AGNPS

                GRASS-man pages converted to html format, THANK YOU to
                Darrel Mcauley!!!!!!

                The GRASSU and GRASSP mailing-lists converted to html.

                All demonstration-databases, loadable from CD.

        Possible additional contents of the CD, depending of free
        space and licensing:

                KHOROS 2.0.1    I'm currently in negotiation with
                                Khoral Research on the license fee I have to
                                pay.

                VIS-5D          A 3D visualisation system for meteorologic
                                datasets, but also usable to visualize flow
                                through a medium (e.g. groundwater flow).

                NCSA            Dataslicer
                NCSA            HDF

        The GRASS-binaries will be runnable directly from CD, they are
        linked from hard-drive to the CD. Drivers for the digitizers
        and printers will be installed on the hard-drive. So it is
        possible to upgrade to newer programs or add binaries to the
        distribution.

        The GRASS-program-libriaries will be in the appropriate place, so
        You will be able to compile and link additional software.

        There will be no LINUX distribution included, so You should have
        a minimal LINUX distribution including X. The GRASS binaries,
        which are using X are staically linked, so it makes no difference in
        using XFree 2.1.x or XFree 3.x., but I'm not familiar with other
        X related problems, You might encounter, e.g. problems with fonts,
        app-defaults.

        You have to use gcc 4.5.26 or newer. The XGRASS binaries are
        linked statically to libc 4.5.26, because they will not run with
        a newer lib.

        To add software You have to use gcc 2.5.8 or newer.

        If You have additional suggestions, questions or tips, please
        e-mail me directly to holz at oi32.kwu.siemens.de or
        holzandr at erls12.kwu.siemens.de. Only if Your mail is of public
        interest, please mail to the GRASS mailing-lists.

Greetings from Germany

                               GERMANY
7 month cold and rainy, 1 month warm, the rest to forget. The elder I become,
                          the more I hate it.