land area on sloping surfaces

Stephen B. King sbk at apwk01g3.abrfc.noaa.gov
Fri Mar 10 13:56:51 EST 1995

> > In mountainous terrain on a sloping surface the planimetric land area
> > is less than the actual surface area on the ground.  Is there an easy
> > way to use a DEM in GRASS to find the actual surface area?  Maybe I'm
> > asking for a 3-D GIS...
> >
> > 	Bill
> > 	bakerwl at uwyo.edu
> >
> Interesting problem. It should be possible to use r.mapcalc to look for four
> neighboring DEM measurements, calculate distances and angles along the
> surface between them, and the surface area of the enclosed lozenge from
> that. This would create a new map, which can then be used to derive
> aggregate surface measurements a la r.average.
>
> 	Martijn
> 	p.m.van-leusen at bham.ac.uk

I missed the original thread, and perhaps I don't understand the problem,
but I would think that area of a sloping cell could be found by:

	(CELL WIDTH)^2/cos(slope)

r.average would then do the rest.

Steve King
Hydrologist				    	10159 East 11th St., Suite 300
NOAA, National Weather Service		    	Tulsa, Oklahoma  74128-3050
Arkansas-Red Basin River Forecast Center    	Off: (918)832-4109
sbk at awips1.abrfc.noaa.gov		    	FAX: (918)832-4101