GRASS-CD Informations and order form.

Holz,Andreas, NDA2 HOLZANDR at erls12.kwu.siemens.de
Mon May 22 08:00:00 EDT 1995

Sorry, due to problems with our mailer, I cannot decide which mail recieved
the
recipient. So I post this to the grassu-list.

I would like to apologize for my German, english spoken!

Hello,

       You are interested in an order form of the GRASS-CD and some
additional
       informations?

       OK!

        Some informations:

        I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO TEST ALL GRASS
        PROGRAMS FOR CORRECT BEHAVIOUR
        ON LINUX!!!!!

        Definitive content of the CD:

                GRASS 4.1.5
          src tree
          src.garden tree
          src.alpha tree
          src.contrib tree (including RIM)

                XGRASS
          except the pixmap-editor completely running
          I took the newest pixmap-editor from inria,
          which is running well.

                MAPGEN
          an alternative GRASS-MOTIF Interface based
          on XGEN.
          ATTENTION: the MAPGEN code seems to be incomplete!
          I did'nt test MAPGEN!!

                GNUPLOT
          and the GRASS-GNUPLOT interface

                SDTS
                AGNPS

                GRASS-man pages converted to html format, THANK YOU to
                Darrel Mcauley!!!!!!

                The GRASSU and GRASSP mailing-lists converted to html.

                All demonstration-databases, loadable from CD.

     The following software has been checked to be added to the CD.

                KHOROS 2.0.1
          1) Khoral research is wanting a huge license fee!
          2) The binares are huge, too. The would not fit on the
               CD together with GRASS.

          KHOROS IS NOT INCLUDED!

                VIS-5D
          A 3D visualisation system for meteorologic
          datasets, but also usable to visualize flow
          through a medium (e.g. groundwater flow).

          Version 3.3 is included. The new version 4.0 is'nt
          running on LINUX.

     System requirements:

          at least a double speed CD-Reader
          486/33 recommended, better higher speed
          a minimum of 8Mb RAM, better 16Mb or more.
          approx. 100Mb for Linux
          approx.  10-35Mb for GRASS, using the CD-ROM
          approx.  200Mb, if installing GRASS on hd.
          approx   100Mb free space for temporay files
          a monitor with 1024 x 768, better 1280 x 1024 resolution
          a 17", better 19" monitor
          an accelerated graphics board, preferable VL or PCI

     e.g. my configuration:

          486DX2 80
          32 Mb RAM
          CD-reader      Mitsumi FX-100
                    Toshiba XM3401B  SCSI
          Adaptec 2842A SCSI-VL controller
          Micropolis 1598 1Gb SCSI-1 Hd
          Seagate Barracuda 32550 2,4Gb Fast SCSI-2 Hd
          ATI Ultra-Plus MACH 32 2Mb (ISA)
          Sony GDM 2070 19" Monitor
          HP-DAT

          running:
          libc 4.5.26
          Linux 1.2.7 kernel
          XFree 2.1.1
          Motif 1.2.4

          Nevertheless it will run on a 386 also, but a little
           bit slower.

     How is GRASS compiled?

          gcc 2.5.8
          libc 4.5.26
          Metrolink Motif 1.2.4
          XFree 2.1.1

          why gcc 2.5.8 and libc 4.5.26?
               I tried gcc > 2.6 and libc > 4.6 in February.
               There were bugs in gcc and libc. X/Motif
               programs were not running. So I switched back
               to gcc 2.5.8 and libc 4.5.26. Furthermore
               Metrolink Motif is compiled with gcc2.5.8.

          why XFree 2.1.1
               Motif 1.2 is based on X11R5
               Metrolink Motif is based on XFree2.1.1

     Why is GRASS linked statically, Why did'nt You save space in
     linking dynamically?

          To redistribute Motif programs they have to be linked
          statically. Do You have Motif?

          To be independent of future XFree and libc releases.

          There is enough space on the CD. So I think, it is better
          to be on the saver side.

     and...

     The GRASS-binaries will be runnable directly from CD, they are
     linked from hard-drive to the CD. Drivers for the digitizers
     and printers will be installed on the hard-drive. So it is
     possible to upgrade to newer programs or add binaries to the
     distribution.

     On CD is a tar.gz archive conaining GRASS to be installed directly
     on hard-disk for enhanced performance.

     The GRASS-program-libraries will be in the appropriate place, so
     You will be able to compile and link additional software.

     There will be no LINUX distribution included, so You should have
     a minimal LINUX distribution including X. The GRASS binaries,
     which are using X are statically linked, so it makes no difference in
     using XFree 2.1.x or XFree 3.x., but I'm not familiar with other
     X related problems, You might encounter, e.g. problems with fonts,
     app-defaults.

       GRASS/XGRASS for LINUX on CD-ROM

                   Order Form

Name                 :    ..........................
Organisation       :    ..........................

Shipping Address:   ..........................

Billing Addres     :    ..........................

Phone Number   :    ..........................
E-Mail               :    ..........................

Shipping Method:    I do not support UPS, because
                              of its behaviour against its
                              employees! So I will use the
                              Deutsche Bundespost.

Payment Method :
                              Outside Germany:

                              International Money Order (Dollar cheque,
                              or other European currencies)
                              payable to:

                              Andreas Holz
                              c/o Loibl
                              Hoefener Str. 142
                              90431 Nuernberg
                              Germany

                              Bank:
                              Stadtsparkasse Nuernberg
                              Bank code : 760 501 01
                              Account No: 1128668

                              Inside Germany:
                              Ueberweisung auf obiges Konto

Price          :
                              Outside Germany:

                              $100 one CD
                              (Discounts are available, please negotiate)

                              including shipment costs

                             (do You have to pay customs?, then I will
declare
                             this CD as a present at our customs!)

                             Inside Germany:

                             DM 140,-  einschliesslich Versand
                             (+ MwST)
                             (bei besonderen Fragen bitte Mail)
                             (Bei der Abnahme mehrerer CD sind Rabatte
moeglich)

Ordering:               Please do not order befor I post the availability of
the CD!
                            Please do not pay, until You'll get the CD.

                             comp.os.linux.announce
                             comp.infosystems.gis
                             via mail to all known interested persons

P.S.:          The CD-ROM manufacturer scheduled the CD for
          the 12th of June. I'll ship them as soon as possible.

P.P.S.:        This is a private project. This CD might never be available
at
          Your local book store or at an professional CD-ROM
          distributor.

P.P.P.S.:      This is a private project. I'm working on it in the evening
or
          the night. It might be possible, I'll become a little bit tired in
          the night. perhaps there will be some delays.

With best regards

          Andreas Holz
          To my convenience please e-mail to
          holzandr at erls12.kwu.siemens.de in the future.

          Please do not forget Your e-mail address in Your mails!!!!!