XGrass on Irix 5.2 (fwd)

Steve Dzurenko steve at ocean.oce.uri.EDU
Wed May 3 08:00:00 EDT 1995

Hi Bart,

I just installed xgrass on my Indigo2, IRIX5.2, a couple of weeks
ago.  I too was confused when I could not type in the Location and
Mapset fields in the start up window.  What I discovered is that I
have to click on the desired database in the Database field.  That
will bring up a list of available locations, assuming you have
locations created in that database.  Chose the location you want by
clicking on it with the mouse.  This will bring up the list of
available mapsets.  Then choose the mapset you want with the mouse.
Then click on Accept and you should be ready to go.

A word of caution.  I have not used xgrass yet because every time I
try to start a Display Tool under the Display button on the Main
Menu, I get an error about not enough colors being available.  I
mailed the list about this problem and asked if anyone had xgrass
working on an SGI.  I did not get any responses.  So, unless someone
can tell me otherwise, I am assuming that xgrass, as it stands, does
not work on SGI.  If you have better luck than me, please let me know.
Thanks.

-Stephen Dzurenko
 Ocean Mapping Division
 Ocean Technology Center