GRASS on Macintoshs

Jim Hinthorne geol1 at CWU.EDU
Fri May 12 15:29:06 EDT 1995

>In reading some of the GRASS tutorials, GRASS supposedly runs on Macs.  Does
>anybody know if this is still possible and, if so, what is required (hardware,
>software, operating system, etc.) to make it happen.
>
>Thanks in advance
>Bruce Stalcup>

To all grass-list folks who have inquired:

As our GIS Lab has previously distributed GRASS 4.1 for the variety
of Unix called A/UX by Apple for some(!) Macs, and as we are currently
porting GRASS 4.1 for the Unix called MachTen for all Macs, here is an update.

1.  GRASS 4.1 for A/UXk Version 3.x.  There are still about 4 CD-ROMs left
to distribute.  These include src, src.alpha, some src.contrib, and
src.related programs RIM, LTPlus, pbmplus library; installation
instructions; GRASS4.1 User's Reference Manual; and some tutorials.
A/UX may no longer be available from Apple; version 3 was fairly robust and
incuded a FORTRAN 77 compiler (previous versions we worthless).
The current fee for one of these sets is $550; it is recommended only if you
already have A/UX running and know that your Mac is compatible.  A/UX can be
run under the finder or in native mode where it is much faster.

2.  MachTen Unix by Tenon Systems (sales at tenon.com) is a new Unix
specifically for the Macs.  It runs under the finder, but is pretty fast; a
native version is said to be in the works for Power Macs.  You can cut and
paste between MachTen and other Mac applications.  So far our port of GRASS
4.1 for MachTen has advanced to the testing stage where two external sites
are running it.  Considerable work was needed on the X driver code for
GRASS.  So far only the src and src.alpha code has been compiled and tested.
 We expect to include many contrib and the pbm library programs in our next
compile.  As there is no compatible FORTRAN 77 available yet, RIM will not
be done.  LTPlus, and MAPGEN will be done if there is sufficient interest,
as they previous experience indicates they will take substantial effort.  A
distribution fee, media choice, and path has not yet been set for this
port--likely, either CWU or Tenon will distribute.

Jim Hinthorne              Voice:  509-963-2826
GIS/Geology                FAX:    509-963-1047
Central Washington Univ.   E-mail: geol1 at cwu.edu
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7418